Tuesday, July 11, 2006
SEVERE WEATHER: Viewer Comments
Dear Channel 5 & Mark Johnson,
It's ridiculous that you interrupted a whole hour of television yesterday from 3:00 to 4:00PM for a weather report. It may have been longer...I got sick of checking. This is something that your station does quite frequently, yet other local stations don't seem to feel the need to interrupt daytime tv endlessly and repeat themselves over and over. Your coverage of the Mentor Marsh fires a few years ago illustrates this point. I understand that you have people's best intentions at heart, but why must you repeat the same information for an hour? Why can't you give a severe weather update at the beginning of the hour and again at the half while running an announcement on the screen, and interrupt only for severe emergencies? It's very frustrating that I have to watch your weather coverage whether I want to or not, and miss out on my favorite ABC shows. What's worse is no one else does it to the extent that you do. I hope someone at your station recognizes your over excessiveness when it comes to reporting the weather because people who aren't in weather crises watch your station, too. I am sure there is a way to keep us informed and not take over the whole day's worth of tv. Thank you for your time,
J. Burger
Avon Lake, OH
You're the best weather forecaster out there. I tried watching the others but you're the best. Thank you for doing a good job. John C.
Mark Johnson, I found it appalling the amount of coverage you gave of the weather on July 10th between 3 and 4 pm. It was not necessary to use the whole hour to report the weather. A scroll across the bottom would have been sufficient. I am a die-hard GENERAL HOSPITAL fan and was very upset to have my entire show interrupted by the weather. As I recall it was a weatherman on this same station (AJ Colby) that interrupted a browns game at the last second and made everyone miss the important part of the game. Why does this station find it necessary to provide so much coverage. When I switched over to Channel 8 to see if THE GODFATHER OF CLEVELAND WEATHER- DICK GODDARD- was interrupting that station- I was glad to see he was not and that there was a scroll across the bottom. I do not know if I will receive a response from you regarding this matter. But know this, a co-worker of my was down in the dumps today and the only thing that she was looking forward to was when she could go home and watch her tape of GENERAL HOSPITAL. Bonnie Jefferies
You might want to send a crew to Loudonville, Ohio in southern Ashland county. Heavy rains this afternoon washed out bridges, overflowed into a campground where scanner reports stated a trailer and truck was washed into a river. A command post has been set up at Loudonville Fire station. EMA is there as and all available deputies are posted at washed out bridges etc, water over roads, roads closed trees down on and on. P. Sponsler
Mark, you are a complete IDIOT. How long does it take to say take cover there is high wind and heavy rain coming to your area. You told the viewers to take cover they are not watching anymore. It took me 1 minute to type it. Say it and get it over with, put the proper warnings on the screen like the GREAT Jeff Tanchek does. You spent more than 45 minutes talking about the same thing over and over and over and over and over. SHUT THE HELL UP ALREADY! Ever heard of the weather channel it takes them 1 minute to say it. Even the Chief of Fire told you live on the air "Its Not That Bad At All". Were you listening to him? CHANNEL 19 Weatherman Rule. They get to the point and don't draw all over their maps. Your so hung up on your damn computers you forget how many people you are pissing off and mostly women. DUH!!!!! Walk outside and take a look up the Sun is Shining dumbass.
Flooding. Trees down blocking major roads (rt 532 in two places) in front of the Hopkins/Lauver Funeral Home and infront of the veterinary office at Albrecht and 532. Tree down over wires at the Donut Depot causes two power line poles to snap. Tree blocking Martin Rd and several ponds and yards flooded on this road. Just thought you'd like to know!!!!!!! Mark B.
Your OVERFORECASTING is very ANNOYING! Alerts can be posted on the screen along with BRIEF interruptions for immediate serious condition warnings and attain a better affect. I am considering subscribing to an ABC channel in another area through my satellite co. just to avoid your DRONING ON about unnecessary miniscule details. PLEASE "hear" my plea!!!
We had the micro burst come through and take down parts of trees and now it is calm.
State St-Pheasant Valley area in Greentown. Ginny Herman
Mark, I’m sending this e-mail because I couldn’t get through on the phone. Please quit with the 20+ weather warnings. Just run a banner. Today is just inexcusable. Do you ever watch any of the other channels when the weather, in isolated areas, is threatening? They don’t interrupt programming. They run a banner or open a separate window. I know Power5 has to be justified, but today is just ridiculous. I’m afraid one day we’re going to need to head your warnings, but you warn so often and for so long that we’ll tune you out when we shouldn’t. Remember the story about the boy who cried “wolf” too often? Please be prudent and limit these warnings. Thanks for listening. Jeanne Collins
It's ridiculous that you interrupted a whole hour of television yesterday from 3:00 to 4:00PM for a weather report. It may have been longer...I got sick of checking. This is something that your station does quite frequently, yet other local stations don't seem to feel the need to interrupt daytime tv endlessly and repeat themselves over and over. Your coverage of the Mentor Marsh fires a few years ago illustrates this point. I understand that you have people's best intentions at heart, but why must you repeat the same information for an hour? Why can't you give a severe weather update at the beginning of the hour and again at the half while running an announcement on the screen, and interrupt only for severe emergencies? It's very frustrating that I have to watch your weather coverage whether I want to or not, and miss out on my favorite ABC shows. What's worse is no one else does it to the extent that you do. I hope someone at your station recognizes your over excessiveness when it comes to reporting the weather because people who aren't in weather crises watch your station, too. I am sure there is a way to keep us informed and not take over the whole day's worth of tv. Thank you for your time,
J. Burger
Avon Lake, OH
You're the best weather forecaster out there. I tried watching the others but you're the best. Thank you for doing a good job. John C.
Mark Johnson, I found it appalling the amount of coverage you gave of the weather on July 10th between 3 and 4 pm. It was not necessary to use the whole hour to report the weather. A scroll across the bottom would have been sufficient. I am a die-hard GENERAL HOSPITAL fan and was very upset to have my entire show interrupted by the weather. As I recall it was a weatherman on this same station (AJ Colby) that interrupted a browns game at the last second and made everyone miss the important part of the game. Why does this station find it necessary to provide so much coverage. When I switched over to Channel 8 to see if THE GODFATHER OF CLEVELAND WEATHER- DICK GODDARD- was interrupting that station- I was glad to see he was not and that there was a scroll across the bottom. I do not know if I will receive a response from you regarding this matter. But know this, a co-worker of my was down in the dumps today and the only thing that she was looking forward to was when she could go home and watch her tape of GENERAL HOSPITAL. Bonnie Jefferies
You might want to send a crew to Loudonville, Ohio in southern Ashland county. Heavy rains this afternoon washed out bridges, overflowed into a campground where scanner reports stated a trailer and truck was washed into a river. A command post has been set up at Loudonville Fire station. EMA is there as and all available deputies are posted at washed out bridges etc, water over roads, roads closed trees down on and on. P. Sponsler
Mark, you are a complete IDIOT. How long does it take to say take cover there is high wind and heavy rain coming to your area. You told the viewers to take cover they are not watching anymore. It took me 1 minute to type it. Say it and get it over with, put the proper warnings on the screen like the GREAT Jeff Tanchek does. You spent more than 45 minutes talking about the same thing over and over and over and over and over. SHUT THE HELL UP ALREADY! Ever heard of the weather channel it takes them 1 minute to say it. Even the Chief of Fire told you live on the air "Its Not That Bad At All". Were you listening to him? CHANNEL 19 Weatherman Rule. They get to the point and don't draw all over their maps. Your so hung up on your damn computers you forget how many people you are pissing off and mostly women. DUH!!!!! Walk outside and take a look up the Sun is Shining dumbass.
Flooding. Trees down blocking major roads (rt 532 in two places) in front of the Hopkins/Lauver Funeral Home and infront of the veterinary office at Albrecht and 532. Tree down over wires at the Donut Depot causes two power line poles to snap. Tree blocking Martin Rd and several ponds and yards flooded on this road. Just thought you'd like to know!!!!!!! Mark B.
Your OVERFORECASTING is very ANNOYING! Alerts can be posted on the screen along with BRIEF interruptions for immediate serious condition warnings and attain a better affect. I am considering subscribing to an ABC channel in another area through my satellite co. just to avoid your DRONING ON about unnecessary miniscule details. PLEASE "hear" my plea!!!
We had the micro burst come through and take down parts of trees and now it is calm.
State St-Pheasant Valley area in Greentown. Ginny Herman
Mark, I’m sending this e-mail because I couldn’t get through on the phone. Please quit with the 20+ weather warnings. Just run a banner. Today is just inexcusable. Do you ever watch any of the other channels when the weather, in isolated areas, is threatening? They don’t interrupt programming. They run a banner or open a separate window. I know Power5 has to be justified, but today is just ridiculous. I’m afraid one day we’re going to need to head your warnings, but you warn so often and for so long that we’ll tune you out when we shouldn’t. Remember the story about the boy who cried “wolf” too often? Please be prudent and limit these warnings. Thanks for listening. Jeanne Collins
Posted at 7:28 PM by Mark Johnson
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home