Tuesday, May 30, 2006

SEVERE STORMS: May 25, 2006 VIEWERS SOUND OFF!

The following are e-mails received during and after the severe weather outbreak of may 25, 2006:

"So disappointed in I believe it was Friday's, 5/26,weather forecasting where the entire 6:00 news was dedicated to the weather. You people tend to scare rather than forecast and I turn the TV to your competitor. Keep it up and I'll watch the entire competitor's channel---way tooooooo much dual doppler power of 5!!!!!!" - Kathy
(MARK'S RESPONSE: You're right Kathy...How dare I put Tornado Warnings and Viewer Safety above "Deal or No Deal." What was i thinking?!?)

"The coverage of the storms on May 25 was outstanding! We live 14 miles from Orrville, so we never stopped watching. We didn't bother to switch to any other station yours was so great. You will always be our weather station.
THANK YOU" - Gary & Margo
(MARK'S RESPONSE: Thank's folks! Glad you are safe!)

"I just wanted to thank you and let you know how much I appreciated your coverage of last night's storm. My husband and I are seniors and your radar coverage of the storms made it possible for us to know when and if we had to take shelter in the basement. No other tv channel gave the coverage Ch. 5 did and when you discontinued
the intensive coverage we knew we could rest easy the rest of the night."
Thank you, Bob and Jo - City of Green
(MARK'S RESPONSE: It seems those who were under those intense storm clouds most appreciated the weather information we provided.)

"DO YOU PEOPLE UNDERSTAND THAT THE REASON PEOPLE TUNE IN TO YOUR
STATION IS TO SEE THE SCHEDULED PROGRAMMING ? WHY DO YOU FEEL IT IS NECESSARY TO FILL THE ENTIRE NEWSCAST WITH WEATHER AND THEN INTERRUPT WORLD NEWS AND LATER
PROGRAMS ? I SIMPLY SWITCH THE CHANNEL, AS MANY PEOPLE DO, AND YOUR STATION CAN NOT AFFORD TO LOOSE VIEWERS. I AM ALMOST 60 YEARS OLD AND HAVE SURVIVED THIS LONG WITH-OUT YOUR EXCESSIVE WEATHER REPORTING, WHICH SEEMS TO GET WORSE EACH YEAR. IF I WANT MORE WEATHER REPORTING, I WILL TUNE TO THE WEATHER CHANNEL. YOUR REPORTING IS
RIDICULOUS IN THAT YOU REPEAT THE SAME INFORMATION OVER AND OVER AND GET DOWN TO WHICH STREET THE THUNDERSTORM WILL HIT AT 6:34 AND WHICH STREET IT WILL HIT AT 6:37, ETC.USE CRAWLS IF YOU FEEL IT IS NECESSARY. CHANGE OR CONTINUE TO LOOSE VIEWERS!"
(MARK'S RESPONSE: Sorry Charlie, generic county crawls are 1970's Old School! They are generic and ambiguous. Viewers have come to expect SPECIFIC severe weather information city by city...street by street. Do you still own a SOLID STATE, BLACK & WHITE TV? Probably not! Hopefully, you've upgraded to High definition TV. The same goes for weather technology. Our weather technology is not STUCK in 1972, even if you are!)

"As an avid Channel 5 weather watcher I am EXTREMELY disappointed in last night’s coverage of the weather. When the weather is bad outside, I have always counted on Channel 5’s great coverage. Last night was full of high winds, thunderstorms warnings, tornado watches & flood watches. Yet I that was broadcasted was a small box with the warning areas. What happened??? Why did you change your format? I had always counted on you. I am very disappointed. This sounds stupid, but I feel my ‘safety net’ or weather watch dog has been taken away. (This is not about a curiosity of the weather – this is about me counting on you so I know when the severe weather will hit & when I need to take that next step – to the basement.)"
(MARK'S RESPONSE: Right on! You are speaking my language! If we were tardy with any information that night, it was because of a few Close-Captioning issues and the fact that I'm breaking in new management who aren't quite up to speed on weather issues. They'll come around!)

"I just wanted to tell you, Mark, that you do such a great job with the weather, your the only one I trust! And when the weather gets bad, I hurry up and put you on! I am so afraid of storms and you let me know exactly whats coming and when it will be here. Thank you for doing such a great job and keeping people safe!"
Britney - Wakeman, Ohio
(MARK'S RESPONSE: I appreciate the kudos, Britney!)

"Great weather reporting tonight! Power 5 is terrific. Thanks
Channel five!"
(MARK'S RESPONSE:Thanks for the kind words!)

"your a idiot. get of the tv you egotistic nerd. your messing up programing.I rather listen to that anoying sound before the weather bulletins!"
(MARK'S RESPONSE: Stellar penmanship, my friend!)

"Why is it everytime we get a few raindrops, Mark Johnson talks forever about nothing and we miss all of the word news! Frustrated! Moving to nbc news!" - Terry
(MARK'S RESPONSE: A few raindrops?!? What color is the sky in your world?)

"I find it difficult to understand why you would break into programming to describe severe weather, when all other stations are satisfied to display a severe weather logo on the screen. That you would spend over seven minutes talking about a storm which affects a small portion of the viewing area is destroying your relationship with all other areas. Having spent over thirty years in radio and television, I know that what you managed to stretch into a very long diatribe could easily have been discussed in thirty seconds. Your need to display the new weather graphics program will speed up the downward spiral of WEWS...." - Ken
(MARK'S RESPONSE: Times have changed, Ken. Welcome to Broadcasting v. 2006! We lead, they follow...and if they can't beat us, they try to discredit us. Why should I be satisfied doing it their way?)

"You actually know that there is a world outside a 20 mile radius. Those fancy maps in the corner just don't cut it when the trees are touching their roots! Thank You for the live, up to the second coverage that helps keep my family safe. Conclusion: Give me 5 Mr. Johnson!" - Jeff Farr - Savannah, Ohio
(MARK'S RESPONSE: Right on!!!)

"It's amazing that the first batch of thunderstorms of the summer months actually controlled most of your news cast this evening. Yes,people should be informed,but leave the tabloid reporting to your neighbors right of the dial."
(MARK'S RESPONSE: Sorry, we just couldn't find 30 minutes of rape, murder and killing to show you. Weather WAS the top story!)

Posted at 6:32 PM by Mark Johnson

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home