Thursday, April 13, 2006

Watch Out for Whirlwinds!

A strange phenomenom happened when I was working in my garden today. I live in southern Lorain county. I was enjoying the beautiful weather while opening my gardens for the spring season. I took a break and came in the house when all of the sudden (having the windows open) a big gust of wind came and things near the window sills were blown over. I looked outside and the leaves were in a funnel shape rising at least two stories high. The winds around the house were unbelievably strong. I panicked and called for my two newfoundlands to go to the basement. While thinking that this was a beautiful day, how could this happen out of nowhere? Just about the time I felt disbelief, it calmed down. For the next few minutes all of the leaves that were swept up starting falling to the ground. Could you explain to me what just happened? It was quite amazing!! Everything went back to being a beautiful day. Lisa in Wellington

MARK'S RESPONSE: Hi Lisa, You witnesses what we call a Dust Devil or Whirlwind. You probably live close to a wooded area that lies next to a field or grassy lot. The sun heats up the open area much quicker, causing the air over the grass or field to quickly rise. Meanwhile, the air in the wooded area stays cooler because it is shaded. As the warmer air over the open field rises, the cooler air from the woods rushes in underneath the rising, warmer air. Uneven surfaces can cause the air to swirl around vertically forming the vortex that you witnessed. Winds in these Dust Devils can exceed 40 miles per hour. I experienced a similar event a few years back while mowing my lawn. The whirlwind formed right along the forest edge and headed right for me! It was quite an experienced as the 40-foot column of swirling winds and leaves enveloped my tractor. I still haven't found my hat! Dust Devils are much more common out west. Thanks for writing in! - Mark Johnson

Posted at 1:01 PM by Mark Johnson

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home